Call for Artists – Dia De Los Muertos Fine Art Exhibition 2020:
¡Saborea los Savores Cultural! (Savor the Cultural Flavors)
Who doesn’t love a sizzling plate of fajitas? And how many people are able to bypass the colorful pan dulce and sweets in a Mexican bakery? This year, our Dia de los Muertos fine art exhibition will celebrate the amazing food of Mexico!
Much of our lives revolve around food, so we develop strong memories and emotional connections to it: memories of making tamales with Mama, laughing over Margaritas with friends, sitting down to dinner with family, or grabbing raspas from a street cart.
For Dia de los Muertos, we have special foods like Sugar Skulls and Pan de Muerto, and we place our deceased loved ones’ favorite foods on ofrendas to draw their spirits home again.
For this exhibition, ¡Saborea los Savores Cultural!, we invite artists to submit works of art inspired by or depicting Mexican food items, or referencing Mexican food traditions: Aguas Frescas, Raspas, Margaritas – Tacos, Enchiladas, Tamales – Tortillas, Guacamole, Chicharrónes – Conchas, Churros, Sopapillas – etc. The options are endless!
Saborea los Savores Cultural! (Savor the Cultural Flavors!) will be displayed at K Space Contemporary during the 2020 Dia de los Muertos Festival. As the most highly anticipated exhibition at K Space Contemporary, the Dia de los Muertos fine art exhibition garners the highest sales and attendance (7,500+) each year.
IMPORTANT DATES – ¡Saborea los Savores Cultural!
Oct. 3: Works Due at K Space Contemporary
Oct. 18 – Nov. 13: Exhibition Dates
Oct. 18: Dia de los Muertos Brunch
Oct. 31: Dia de los Muertos Festival, 3 pm to midnight
Nov. 6: ArtWalk 6 to 9 pm
Nov. 14, 11am to 5 pm: Pick Up Unsold Works
- Open to All – must be (or become) a member of K Space Contemporary. Artist memberships $35, Students & Seniors $20. Join Online Here.
- Number of works: Each artist may submit 1 – 2 works of art.
- Register to participate by Sept 15: Email Info@kspacecontemporary.org. Put “2020 DDLM Exhibition” in the subject line. List title, media, size and retail price for each work of art you plan to submit.
- Theme: Mexican Food – we are seeking works of art inspired by or depicting Mexican food items, or referencing Mexican food traditions.
- Works Due October 3, 5 pm: Works must be delivered to K Space Contemporary, 623 N. Chaparral St. in downtown Corpus Christi. We are accepting works September 23 – October 3, 2020 during regular Gallery Hours: Wednesday – Saturday, 11am to 5 pm. (Closed Sunday – Tuesday)
- Size: 2D Works must be no larger than 36” in either direction. Sculpture must be manageable by 2 people.
- Media: All visual art media accepted.
- Presentation: 2D works must be wired and ready to install when they are delivered to K Space Contemporary. Attach wire to D-rings or screw eyes. Paper works must be framed under plexiglass/acrylic. Unframed Canvas – edges must be “gallery wrapped” = painted black/grey or with the image continued around the edge.
- Label your work: Each work must arrive with 2 labels – one permanent and one to remove. Labels must include: Artist’s name, email address/phone, title, media, and retail price.
- Price: K Space retains 40% commission on works sold. Include commission when pricing your work.
- Delivery/Shipping: Artists are responsible for delivery of their artwork to and from the gallery, including any shipping costs incurred.
- Curating: K Space Contemporary’s Exhibition Committee will review all works of art for artistic quality and relevance to the exhibition theme. K Space Contemporary reserves the right to eliminate any work of art for any reason.
FMI: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Call K Space at (361) 887-6834. Visit our Dia de los Muertos Festival webpage.