Call for Artists – Dia De Los Muertos Fine Art Exhibition 2020:
¡DISFRUTA EL SABOR! (Savor the Flavor)
Who doesn’t love a sizzling plate of fajitas? And how many people are able to bypass a Mexican bakery full of colorful sweets?This year, our Dia de los Muertos fine art exhibition celebrates the amazing food of Mexico!
With COVID-19, many of us are cooking at home. Much of our lives revolve around food, so we develop strong memories and emotional connections to it: memories of making tamales with Mama, laughing over Margaritas with friends, sitting down to dinner with family, or grabbing raspas from a street cart.
For Dia de los Muertos, we have special foods like Sugar Skulls and Pan de Muerto, and we place our deceased loved ones’ favorite foods on ofrendas to draw their spirits home again.
For this exhibition, ¡Disfruta El Sabor!, we invite artists to submit works of art inspired by or depicting Mexican food items, or referencing Mexican food traditions: Aguas Frescas, Raspas, Margaritas – Tacos, Enchiladas, Tamales – Tortillas, Guacamole, Chicharrónes – Conchas, Churros, Sopapillas – etc. The options are endless!
¡Disfruta El Sabor! (Savor the Flavor!) will be displayed at K Space Contemporary October 17 through November 13, 2020.
IMPORTANT DATES – ¡Disfruta el Sabor!
Oct. 9: Works Due at K Space Contemporary
Oct. 17 – Nov. 13: Exhibition Dates
Nov. 14, 11am to 5 pm: Pick Up Unsold Works
- Open to All – must be (or become) a member of K Space Contemporary. Artist memberships $35, Students & Seniors $20. Join Online Here.
- Number of works: Each artist may submit 1 – 2 works of art.
- Register to participate by Sept 25: Email Info@kspacecontemporary.org. Put “2020 DDLM Exhibition” in the subject line. List how many works you plan to submit and label info, if available: title, media, size and retail price for each work.
- Theme: Mexican Food – we are seeking works of art inspired by or depicting Mexican food items, or referencing Mexican food traditions.
- Works Due October 9, 5 pm: Works must be delivered to K Space Contemporary, 623 N. Chaparral St. in downtown Corpus Christi. We are accepting works September 23 – October 9, 2020 during regular Gallery Hours: Wednesday – Saturday, 11am to 5 pm. (Closed Sunday – Tuesday)
- Size: 2D Works must be no larger than 48” in either direction. Sculpture must be manageable by 2 people.
- Media: All visual art media accepted.
- Presentation: 2D works must be wired and ready to install when they are delivered to K Space Contemporary. Attach wire to D-rings or screw eyes. Paper works must be framed under plexiglass/acrylic. Unframed Canvas – edges must be “gallery wrapped” = painted black/grey or with the image continued around the edge.
- Label your work: Each work must arrive with 2 labels – one permanent and one to remove. Labels must include: Artist’s name, email address/phone, title, media, and retail price.
- Price: K Space retains 40% commission on works sold. Include commission when pricing your work.
- Delivery/Shipping: Artists are responsible for delivery of their artwork to and from the gallery, including any shipping costs incurred.
- Curating: K Space Contemporary’s Exhibition Committee will review all works of art for artistic quality and relevance to the exhibition theme. K Space Contemporary reserves the right to eliminate any work of art for any reason.